As the song says, ” it’s the most wonderful time of the year.” We are entering the new football season, and the excitement is through the roof. This time of year every team is undefeated, and all the fans have that tiny voice in the back of their heads whispering with hope, ” maybe this is THE year!” So before you break out your team gear and paint your face, here are ten football related flicks to celebrate America’s favorite game.10. Invincible (2006)- This is a good one for every guy that thinks, at one time or another, “I could play in the NFL.” Mark Wahlberg stars as Vince Papale, a 30-year-old Philadelphia native, that goes to open tryouts for the Philadelphia Eagles. This is based on a real-life story, which adds to the excitement. Mark Wahlberg is excellent in the lead role, and you will be rooting for him to make the team. I would have put this higher on the list, but the Eagles are my favorite teams rival, and I have to be loyal to my team!
9.Little Giants ( 1994)- Sort of ” The Sandlot” of football movies, this fun, family flick is a blast. This has Rick Moranis and Ed O’Neill as two brothers coaching rival pee-wee football teams. Moranis is coaching the lovable misfits on the little Giants team. Like I said, this is a fun movie to watch with the kids, and who doesn’t love a movie with dorky kids overcoming the mean kids? Plus, the “Icebox” brings the girl power!!
8. North Dallas Forty ( 1979)- Here is a blast from the past! I like “North Dallas Forty” because it shows the behind the scenes lives of football stars. These are not the role models you want your kids to emulate. The film follows the players as they do whatever it takes to stay on the field, and keep their careers going. Off the field, they look for anything to match the high they get while on the field. A young Nick Nolte leads a strong cast that will make you both route for them, and kind of not.
7. Rudy (1993)- Ok you know I couldn’t leave this one off the list! Sean Astin stars as “Rudy” Ruettiger in this real-life inspirational movie. Rudy is too small, not very athletic and not the best academically, but his dream is to play for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team. Rudy will show everyone what hard work and perseverance can lead to, as he never gives up. If you don’t get goosebumps when Rudy finally takes the field, you are a bitter person, so don’t bother reading the rest of this list, just move along.
6. Jerry Maguire ( 1996)- Yes, technically this is a football movie, so stop rolling your eyes! Tom Cruise plays Jerry, a sports agent that suddenly develops a heart, which costs him his job and clients. Renée Zellweger plays Dorothy, the young woman that has faith in Jerry and helps him try to build his own agency. Love ensues. It is a sweet love story ( ugh did I say that), and how many men have told a woman that she completes him after seeing this movie. Cuba Gooding, Jr and Jonathan Lipnicki steal the movie from the main stars, and bring a lot of laughs as well. Enjoy this mushy one.
5. The Blind Side (2009)- It seems a lot of football movies are based on real life, inspirational stories. This is the story of Michael Oher, the homeless kid who, with the help of Leigh Anne Tuohy, becomes an all-pro offensive lineman in the NFL. Sandra Bullock plays Leigh Anne, and she owns this movie. She earned an Oscar for this role, and she definitely deserved it. This is a heartwarming movie, with a great mixture of laughs and tears. Even if you don’t like football, watch it simply for Sandra!!
4. The Last Boy Scout (1991)- I hear the groans through my laptop from some of you! Yes, this is a football movie!! It tells of the seedy side of ownership, and their do anything for a dollar mentality. OK, it is also a Bruce Willis action flick, written by Shane Black. If that doesn’t grab your interest, you are just a dull, boring lump of carbon. Name one other movie where a former quarterback, played by Damon Wayans, throws a football, like, 70 yards, while riding a horse after his hand got shot. You CAN’T!!! Go, watch this movie or else Satan Claus will get you.
3. Remember the Titans (2000)- I am not even going to give a description of this movie. Here is all you need to know- Denzel. He plays a coach. What else do you need? There is no such thing as a bad Denzel movie, so if you have not seen this one, what are you waiting for? It is frickin’ Denzel!!!
2. The Waterboy (1998)- Flat out one of the funniest movies ever made!! Bobby Boucher, played by Adam Sandler, is a dimwitted waterboy, that goes from sideline joke to bone-crushing linebacker overnight. This is Sandler’s best movie, in this humble reviewers opinion, and is immensely re-watchable. The cast is hilarious, with Kathy Bates and Henry Winkler ( yes, the Fonz) almost stealing the show. This is another comedy that is incredibly quotable. I miss this Adam Sandler. If you disagree, there must be something wrong with YOUR medulla oblongata!
1.The Longest Yard (1974)- No, no, no not the remake, the original 1974 classic. This is grade A Burt Reynolds! Burt plays Paul Crewe, a washed up quarterback that gets arrested and ends up at a brutal prison, so he can help the warden coach his team of prison guards. Paul suggests a game between the guards and the prisoners, and the warden is happy to oblige. Burt is at the top of his game, and the rest of the cast shines, as the action and laughs come at you non-stop. This is an exciting movie that has quite a bit of heart to it. By the end you’ll be chanting, ” Mean Machine!” ( Skip the remake, this is the best version!!)
There you have it football fanatics, 10 movies to get you pumped for the new season. I, for one, can’t wait for the season to start so I can enjoy my two favorite time killers: Movies and football. Hopefully after the first week we will still have a reason to watch our favorite teams. So, best of luck to your team this year! ( Unless your team is Clemson or the Eagles, then I hope you have a terrible time this season!) Do you agree or disagree with any movie on this list? Have your own recommendations? Please, leave a comment to let me know. I’d love to hear from you. Yes, you!!
As Always, thanks for your time!
The Movie Psycho